Thursday, May 16, 2013

Color, here I come!!!

I am pleased to announce that I have advanced to painting in color for my assignments at the Hein Academy of Art! I'm finally a big kid and get to use the color paints! This honor has been a long time coming. I started my first assignment last Friday and, ironically, Jeff assigned me the task of painting a white cast. Some of the other students were teasing me that I'm finally in color and I have to paint something white! But, as Jeff explained, there is a lot of color and temperature variations, even in white. To make it more interesting I added a red table cloth beneath it so we get some reflected color on the object.

On Friday I basically drew the object to this point:


Then I started adding color to the light side of the face and asked Jeff if he'd do a demonstration on my painting so I could see how to approach it. Here is the product of his 30-40 minute demo:

I had to start over after that since he did so much of it, but I've been using his demo as a reference to help me along the way. The colors he used on the shadow side of the face were much warmer than I would have chosen. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment